Mercedes-Benz has been one of the brand names that stands out for German quality and engineering. Not only do they make one of the most luxurious executive sedans, but they are also famous for their high-speed sports cars that will put all eyes on you.
What makes a good sports car? Here are the top 10 Mercedes-Benz sports cars ever produced. Some are on the list for their engine capabilities, others for their price, reliability and affordability.
In the end, what matters is what you care about most. Picking the vehicle that is right for you and suits your needs is the best decision you can make.
10.Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren
This beautiful beast is a grand tourer that comes up with 617 horsepower and a 5.4-liter gasoline engine powertrain in a 5-speed automatic transmission. The body style actually looks more like a Batmobile than an actual car. It first came into production in early 2003 and set the beginning of a series that later became the famous SLS AMG.
- A grand tourer
- 617 horsepower and a 5.4-liter gasoline engine powertrain
- 5-speed automatic transmission
- Looks more like a Batmobile than an actual car
- The beginning of a series that later became the famous SLS AMG
9.Mercedes Benz CLK GTR
Not only is the CLK GTR a sports car produced by Mercedes-AMG, but it is also a racecar. It weighs only 2,200 lbs (1,000 kg) and boasts a 5.0-liter GT 112 engine with 600 horsepower. Its engine produces a torque of 539 lb-ft. With a top speed of 208 mph or 335 km/h, this vehicle has won numerous racing tournaments against manufacturers like Porsche and Ferrari.
Although it’s a racecar, you can also drive it on the road with a few modifications. There’s also the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Straßen version, which comes with a 7.3-liter monstrous engine with over 600 horsepower.
- A sports car and a racecar
- Weighs only 2,200 lbs
- 5.0-liter GT 112 engine with 600 horsepower
- Engine produces a torque of 539 lb-ft
- Top speed of 208 mph or 335 km/h
- Has won racing tournaments against Porsches and Ferraris
- Can drive it on the road with a few modifications
8.Mercedes AMG GT 63 S
The Mercedes AMG GT 63S is the top of the food chain variant of the GT 4-Door X290, but it comes with a 630-horsepower boosted engine that produces a whopping 664 lb-ft of torque. It goes from 0 – 62 miles per hour (0-100 km/h) in just 3.2 seconds which makes it the fastest Mercedes on the road. Not only that, it can also go up to a top speed of 196 mph (315 km/h).
It’s a bit heavier than a traditional sports car with a curb weight of 4,500 lbs (2,050 kg). However, it has a very low center of gravity, which more than makes up for its heavy weight with stability.
- The fastest Mercedes on the road
- Comes with a 630-horsepower boosted engine
- Produces 664 lb-ft of torque
- Goes from 0 – 62 miles per hour (0-100 km/h) in just 3.2 seconds
- Top speed of 196 mph (315 km/h).
- Heavier than a traditional sports car at 4,500 lbs
7.Mercedes AMG GT R PRO
If you want to feel like you’re driving an airplane on the road, the Mercedes AMG GT R PRO is the car for it. It’s one of the closest cars to motor racing that you can drive on the road. With a focus on aerodynamics, the coupe looks astonishing while also delivering amazing performance on the road.
- Feels like you’re driving an airplane on the road
- One of the closest cars to motor racing that you can drive on the road
- Focuses on aerodynamics and delivers amazing performance
6.Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
This car is the successor of Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren and comes with an improved engine of 6.2 L M159 DOHC V8 and a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic. The SLS AMG has 563 horsepower under the hood, but is much lighter than its predecessor.
- The successor of Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren
- Improved 6.2 L M159 DOHC V8 engine
- 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
- 563 horsepower under the hood, but
- Much lighter than its predecessor
5.Mercedes AMG C 63 Coupe
With a whopping 6.2 L M156 AMG V8 engine, the C 63 AMG was first produced in 2011, featuring a 480-horsepower powertrain and a top speed of 166 mph with a 4.4-second time from 0 to 62 miles per hour.
Although it’s a bit slower than the previous cars on this list, this vehicle is a much better all-arounder, suitable to be driven on the road in most conditions, while still delivering a monstrous performance.
- 6.2 L M156 AMG V8 engine
- 480-horsepower powertrain
- Top speed of 166 mph
- 4.4-second time from 0 to 62 miles per hour
- An all-arounder, not just a sports car
4.Mercedes SL 65 AMG
With 621 horsepower under the hood and a torque of 738 lb-ft, the SL 65 AMG is equipped with a V12 Biturbo engine that allows it to reach from 0 to 62 miles per hour (0 – 100 km/h) in just 3.9 seconds, making it one of the top 10 fastest Mercedes on the road. Capped at a top speed of 167 mph, this vehicle could do even more if it weren’t.
- 621 horsepower under the hood
- Torque of 738 lb-ft
- V12 Biturbo engine
- 0 to 62 miles per hour (0 – 100 km/h) in just 3.9 seconds
- One of the top 10 fastest Mercedes on the road
- Capped at a top speed of 167 mph
3.Mercedes Benz SLK
Some might wonder why the more affordable SLK is so high up the list. The reason for that is mainly the reliability it comes with, compared with other models. Most of the cars on this list have had fewer than 2,000 sales per year in the U.S. However, the SLK has reached 5-digit numbers of sales in some years, including over 20,000 sales in 2001 alone.
The third-generation SLK, from 2011- 2020, is equipped with an inline-four V6 or V8 gasoline engine. The most affordable pick on our list comes with a 415-horsepower engine and is quite compact to drive, both in town and on longer trips.
- More affordable and reliable compared with other models on this list
- More sales than the other cars
- Inline-four V6 or V8 gasoline engine
- 415-horsepower engine
- Quite compact to drive, both in town and on longer trips.
2.Mercedes Benz AMG GT Black Series
With 800 Nm of torque and a 3.2-second time from 0 – 62 miles per hour (0 – 100 km/h), the Mercedes AMG GT Black Series can reach 325 km/h, with its 720 horsepower under the hood. This is the newest sports car Mercedes AMG has unveiled as of 2021.
If you’re wondering why this car is so high up the list, it’s not only for the looks and feel of it. On November 4, 2020, the AMG GT Black Series posted a record time of 6:43.615 on the infamous Nürburgring Nordschleife track under the driver Maro Engel, and it became the fastest ever unmodified car to reach such a time.
- Newest sports car Mercedes AMG has unveiled as of 2021
- 800 Nm of torque
- 3.2-second time from 0 – 62 miles per hour (0 – 100 km/h)
- Can reach 325 km/h with its 720 horsepower
- In November 2020, it posted a record time of 6:43.615 on the infamous Nürburgring Nordschleife track
1.Mercedes Benz AMG GT-S
The Mercedes Benz AMG GT-S comes as a more equipped and refined version of the AMG GT. It comes with the same M178 engine as the GT Black Series, but is not tuned all the way up to 720 horsepower, which might be quite dangerous outside the track.
The AMG GT-S comes in 515 horsepower and 495 lb-ft of torque with various Race Modes and Race Start options to choose from. The variety of dynamic select adaptive drivetrain system options offers the driver the comfort and feel they are looking for in a sports car.
- A more equipped and refined version of the AMG GT
- comes with the same M178 engine as the GT Black Series
- 515 horsepower and 495 lb-ft of torque
- Various Race Modes and Race Start options
- Dynamic select adaptive drivetrain system