The BMW 5 Series is not a cheap car to buy, but it comes equipped in terms of luxury and brings a strong engine. Despite the common belief that used BMWs are a no-buy, the BMW 5 Series F10, or the so-called 2010 – 2016 Mk6 remains one of the best luxury sedans to buy used.
The BMW 5 Series 2010 – 2016
Not only does this beautiful executive vehicle bring in a powerful and economical engine, but it also comes with ample space for families and impressively comfortable riding and handling.
The main reasons behind the big success of this luxury sedan are the combination of comfort, speed and class it brings, as well as the extremely wide engine purchasing options it comes in. Not only that, but it also brings in 5 stars in terms of the EURO NCAP test for safety with a 100% safety assist score.
The BMW 5 series from 2010 – 2016 is one of the most reliable BMW vehicles manufactured after the hit 1996 – 2006 series. Out of all engines and coupes, the BMW 535s paired with the NN5 engine is the most reliable out of the bunch. So, look for this type of vehicle.
The least reliable BMW is the BMW 550i with the lowest 1.5 out of 5 reliability rating, ranked 29th out of 30 luxury sedans with an average repair cost of $1,000 per year.
BMW 5 Series Mk6 Engine variations
The BMW 5 series from 2010 – 2016 comes in a broad engine range ranging from a 2.5-liter gasoline engine to a 3.5-liter diesel one. Other available engine options on the market are:
Gasoline running engines:
- BMW 518d
- BMW 520d
- BMW 525d
- BMW 530d
- BMW 535d
- BMW M 550d
The BMW 5 Series Mk6 became a bestseller mainly due to the wide variety of engines with both 6-speed manual, 8-speed automatic, and 7-speed dual-clutch transmissions, to suit any taste and driving style.
BMW 5 Series 2010 – 2016 body types
The vehicle comes in a wide variety of body styles.
- 4-door sedan (The most popular choice – F10)
- 5-door fastback (Gran Turismo)
- 5-door wagon or Touring
- 4-door long-wheelbase sedan. (This one you could find only in China and the Middle East)
The length of these vehicles varies between 192 and 198 inches or (4.9 – 5 meters) making them extremely ample and spacious with enough luggage space for a family of 4. The width is also spacious – 1.86 meters or 6 feet.
BMW 5 Series 2010 – 2016 interior and features
The interior is quite luxurious, which is no surprise. The standard models come with an updated iDrive system and increased legroom for rear passengers. The display console infotainment is angled toward the driver to facilitate use and avoid distractions.
The BMW 5 Series models come with a driving mode selector, a hard disk of 80GB + for navigation and music, and a head-up display. It also includes blind-spot monitoring, radar cruise control, night vision, rear-wheel steering and other safety features like lane departure warning.
There are also side-facing cameras, as well as others in the front bumper. These cameras provide a virtual overhead graphic to assist with parking – a so-called Top View.
Choosing the best BMW 5 Series 2010 – 2016 for you
The BMW 5 Series is an outstanding generation of vehicles. Smooth, precise, swift, and luxurious, this car can be all a driver wants. The most popular choice along the 5 Series is the 520d which has lower running costs compared to others, for such a big car. Nearly two-thirds of the European BMW Series 5 sold were 520d and for a reason.
It’s a mixture of power and economy. The six-cylinder engine is bulletproof and you can expect it to outlive the warranty period if maintained properly.
Bigger engines, such as the 5-liter gasoline engine, require more maintenance, cost more to service and have more issues overall with the lowest reliability rating of 1.5 out of 5. So, unless you are in love with the 5-liter engine, avoid it and go for a smaller engine.
And, of course, if you have a lead foot and are looking to drive really fast, you’ve got the M5, which comes at a whopping 553 horsepower with a 0 – 62 mph (100 km/h) of 4.4 seconds. With a 4.4 L S63 twin turbo V8 engine, this powerhouse feels unstoppable on the road.
8 reasons a BMW5 series is a great used car to buy
- Reputation for quality and reliability: BMW has a longstanding reputation for building cars that are well-made and reliable. The Series 5 is no exception, with many owners reporting few problems and excellent durability.
- Comfortable ride and handling: The Series 5 is known for its smooth ride and agile handling, making it a pleasure to drive on both city streets and the highway.
- Strong engine options: The Series 5 is available with a range of powerful and efficient engines, including turbocharged four-cylinder, six-cylinder, and V8 options. The engines are known for their smooth power delivery and impressive acceleration.
- Impressive fuel economy: Despite its performance-oriented engines, the Series 5 also delivers impressive fuel economy, especially with its diesel engines.
- Luxurious interior: BMW is known for its high-end, luxurious interiors, and the Series 5 is no exception. The cabin is comfortable and well-appointed, with high-quality materials and advanced technology features.
- Advanced safety features: The Series 5 comes with a range of advanced safety features, including adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking.
- Strong resale value: BMWs typically hold their value well, and the Series 5 is no exception. This means that buying a used Series 5 can be a smart investment, as you can expect to get a good price when you decide to sell it.
- Wide availability: As one of BMW’s most popular models, the Series 5 is widely available on the used car market, making it easy to find a good one in your area.
Additional questions about the BMW 5 Series
What are the rivals of the BMW 5 Series from other brands?
The closest rivals to BMW 5 Series are the Audi A6 and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class automobiles. And while the Mercedes places its strengths in comfort, it drives less sporty than the BMW. Audi, on the other hand, is of high quality but feels underwhelming to drive compared to the BMW 5 Series.
Another vehicle of the kind is the Jaguar XF, although its diesel engine is not as optimized or economical as its German counterpart.
Is it expensive to maintain a BMW 5 Series?
In general, BMW cars are very expensive to maintain. For every 10,000 miles, it costs an average of $200 to $400 to maintain. In addition, major repair costs are between $1000 and $3000 USD. On an annual basis, it costs between $1000 and $1,800 to maintain and service a BMW Series 5. Of course, that depends on the regularity of your driving and mileage.
When is the next BMW Series 5 coming out?
The new BMW Series 5 most likely come out in 2023, carrying all the features and more from the 2020 model. The eighth-generation Series 5 will be the introduction of the iDrive 7.5 system. We can expect the same level of luxury sedans with improved features and who knows what BMW will come up with next?
How much does the average oil change for a BMW Series 5 cost?
The average cost of an oil change for the BMW Series 5 ranges between $170 and $200 in the US. The labor costs are around $50 and the rest is for the cost of parts, which are estimated to be between $120 and $140.